Welcome to the official blog of College Hill Partnership! Follow along to stay up-to-date with the latest from College Hill!
Open Call for CHP Board MembersCalling all leaders in the Cedar Valley. The College Hill Partnership is entering into our 11th year as a combined organization. This year brings many exciting opportunities and challenges for the Hill. We would love for you to be directly involved. Help us shape the future of the College Hill District by representing our community and unique stakeholders.
Board Seats Going Up for Election:(2) 2-year at large seats (2) 3-year at large seats (will be awarded to top two at large vote winners) (1) 2-year member representing owners of residential rental properties (Landlords) within the College Hill Overlay Zoning District (1) 2-year member representing businesses within the College Hill Overlay Zoning District Considering the job? Check out CHP Board of Directors Member Duties, and CHP Board of Directors Commitment Form to learn more about being a College Hill Partnership Board Member. If you would like to serve please head to https://www.collegehillpartnership.org/board-member-application/ and complete the board member application. Applications are due by Friday, March 8th 2019. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to the Executive Director via email or phone (319)-273-6228. Know someone who might be interested? Share this post via, text, email, or social media. Thank you for your consideration and your help in making College Hill an amazing place.
Join the College Hill Partnership Today!Happy New Year! This year the College Hill Partnership is working to be more efficient. You could say it’s the CHP’s New Year’s Resolution. With that in mind, the Board passed a resolution at our October Board Meeting to ensure the membership application process is streamlined & open for a longer period of time to encourage increased participation in the College Hill Partnership. There are many benefits to being a CHP member including the following:
- Vote for board members and any changes made to bylaws in the upcoming election
- Free food at the annual meeting
- All formal communication includes: updates, minutes, agendas, meeting reminders
- Opportunity to participate in the College Hill Neighborhood, and projects that better our community
- The satisfaction you are making the Hill a better place
- Request an application via email and mail or email completed application to:
PO Box 974
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613OR
complete an application online HERE prior to March 1, 2019
- Submit dues by mail or online (amount of $25) prior to March 1, 2019
- During CHP’s calendar year (May 2018 to March 2019) you have volunteered for CHP events, or committees totaling over five hours. College Hill Partnership Monthly and Annual Board meetings do not qualify towards these hours.
- You own property in the College Hill Overlay SSMID district and pay taxes into the SSMID fund that helps support the College Hill Partnership.
Donuts, Brownies, Cheescake. OH MY! ICON Donuts & Sweetery Opens on the HillOpen just in time for the spring semester ICON Donuts and Sweetery is the perfect start to your school or work day. We headed in after lunch the other day to give you a peek inside and of course try some of their amazing donuts. ICON is locally owned so you will see some familiar faces there who always greet you with a smile. The staff is ready to help you with the perfect selection of sweets for any occasion. Our executive director grabbed a dozen donuts including some of their ICON donuts. If you love lemon you need to grab a Liz Lemon named after Tina Fey’s character on 30 Rock. They have all your favorite traditional donuts. Plus their awesome selection of ICON donuts, named for artists, characters, musicians, and famous people. Just to name a few:
- Liz Lemon
- Raspberry Beret
- The Dude
- Queen Bee
- Strawberry Fields
- The Godfather
NEW Shoe Store Opens on College Hill in Cedar Falls, IowaJanuary 11th marked the opening day for one of the newest businesses on College Hill in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Price Check Kicks opened their doors with a Grand Opening celebration. The opening was complete with snacks, balloons and the perfect pair of shoes for all of you sneaker fanatics. They are located on West 23rd Street right between Marsala Market and Icon Donuts and Sweetery. We headed in on opening day to check out the selection and meet the staff. Walking into the store we were greeted by customers and staff alike which isn’t surprising in a laid back professional atmosphere. After looking through their selection of everything including Nike, YEEZY, Jordan’s and more we headed back to their lounge area where we found some customers enjoying some snacks and shooting some hoops in their relaxing lounge area. This store like many of the College Hill Businesses offers a place for their customers to have an experience not just a place to buy shoes. Price Check Kicks on College Hill in Cedar Falls doesn’t just sell shoes they buy, trade, and clean shoes. They even have consignment. They have also added vintage jerseys. We really love their logo tees and sweatshirts that ask “What’s your Price?” on the front with their logo on the back. If you like to be in the latest style shoes we think you should head into Price Check Kicks. They are located at 915 West 23rd Street on College Hill in Cedar Falls. Head in Tuesday –Thursday 11-7pm Friday & Saturday 12-8pm. Check them out on Facebook or Instagram too.
Perfect Way to Ring in 2019: 10 Highlights from the Past Year on College Hill
- Oktoberfest on the Hill
- The Opening of Greenhouse Kitchen & The Shakery Smoothie Bar
- Welcome Week Panther Block Pawty
- Opening Day College Hill Farmers’ Market & Homecoming Week Panther Theme CHFM
- Holiday Tree Lighting & Business Window Decorating
- Planning Sessions for Pettersen Plaza & Seerley Park
- Annual Neighborhood Picnic in Seerley Park
- Hill- ebration of Thanks
- 12 Days of Hill-iday Cheer
- 40th Anniversary of College Hill Arts Festival
Annual College Hill Tree Lighting 2018Join us for our annual tree Holiday tree lighting. Meet us in Sharky’s & Milkbox patio for music and a tree lighting. A big thanks to JoDee from Subcity in helping us get the perfect tree for this Holiday Season. We are excited to have some Cedar Falls students sing some holiday carols for us prior to lighting the tree. Make sure you bundle up and bring a friend. Tree will be lit a 7pm stay tuned for exciting events to follow at your favorite College Hill establishments.
- Head over to Sharky's to warm up before the lighting for Eggnog and Hot Chocolate
- Head into Milkbox for a festive holiday celebration after the lighting And don’t forget to join us Dec 3-14th for our 12 Days of Hill-iday Cheer. Each day one College Hill business will be hosting a special event, promo, or special just for you during this holiday season. Thanks to the participating businesses: The Shakery, Mohair Pear, Copyworks, Subcity, The OP on College Hill, College Hill Partnership, Hill Street News and Tobacco, Balance Hot Yoga, Chad's Pizza
Open Forum: Seerley Park ImprovementsThe College Hill Partnership invites you to an open Public Forum to discuss and share ideas about how to improve Seerley Park. Please join us in the McElroy Room at the Cedar Falls Hearst Center (304 W. Seerley Blvd), on Saturday November 17th at Noon. Bring your ideas, concerns and questions regarding the park. Some ideas people have mentioned to improve Seerley Park through our survey are:
- Little Free Library
- Regular Live Music
- Drinking Fountain
- Public Art
- Moving Shelter
- Better shelter that can be used for multi-purposes
- Summer events (Dancing/physical activity, movies, music)
- Tell us what you want to see happen with Seerley Park in the comments